In July we took part in the very first Event Freelancer Summit and delivered a presentation about what insurance event freelancers need.

During the event, we received some specific questions from the audience which we have answered in detail below. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us on

How do policies work across international borders for freelancers who work globally a lot?

This will depend on where you are based as each country will have different insurance requirements, laws and procedures. The good news is, if you are domiciled within the UK we have a robust and wide selection of insurers and brokers who can often provide global policies.

Some examples are Public Liability, this can be purchased in the UK but with worldwide cover, this is the same with equipment insurance and Professional Indemnity cover.

If, however, you are employing someone from another country, you may need to consider purchasing Employers' Liability locally, but we would advise you to speak to a broker for more information.

When purchasing your insurance policies it is important to ask your broker or the insurer if it is possible to upgrade for wider geographical cover if you require it. In the US and Canada for example, Professional Indemnity usually comes at an additional cost due to their litigious legal system.

Is it best to use only one provider? Is there anyone you would recommend to us - Hiscox for example? Is there also anything we should specifically look out for in a policy?

We would only suggest a certain insurer once we have heard your individual needs. It is important to remember that each business and person is different, the good thing when using a broker is that they should have a selection of different insurers they can approach, compared to when you go direct to a single insurer.

This means that a trained insurance broker will be able to review your needs and personal requirements and suggest the insurer and product based on your requirements.

The only suggestions we can make as a broad approach is to use a broker and work with someone who understands what you are doing and who has clients in this same sector or line of work so you know you can trust their opinion and recommendations.

It would be very difficult on a lot of events never to leave equipment unattended on a live event in a venue. Do you have any thoughts?

This is understandable however it important to still take steps to make sure it is protected. It could be as simple as asking someone who you are working with to keep an eye on it while you are away. It really depends on the equipment and each individual scenario. A broker should be able to advise on risk mitigation steps that could be taken. Failing this, the broker can speak to the insurers and help explain the individual circumstances.

For more information regarding insurance, visit - you can also contact us on or via our company page here on Connektd.